Thursday, June 28, 2012

Testimonials

tes·ti·mo·ni·al

[tes-tuh-moh-nee-uhl] 
noun
1. a written declaration certifying to a person's character, conduct, or qualifications, or to the value, excellence, etc., of a thing; a letter or written statement of recommendation.
2. something given or done as an expression of esteem, admiration, or gratitude.

Growing up in the south and as a Methodist, if I heard someone say, they were 'giving their testimonial' I knew they were talking about getting up in front of their church congregation to talk about how they were a lost soul but gave their life to Christ and became born again. Honestly, I am not sure the use of the word is grammatically correct but again, being from the south, I knew exactly what they meant.

While we Methodist know what a testimonial is, it isn't at the center of our faith. Occasionally, someone will offer up their story but it isn't expected as part of your journey as it is in some other branches of Christianity. However, I often think about the overall expression of a testimonial and what it means. Do we Methodist or other faiths have a similar expression but just in another form?
I believe we do.

I have long held the belief that a testimonial can take many forms, not just the process of standing before your congregational peers and talking about your journey. I also think that a very powerful form of testimonial is by example. You see, I believe that we can all talk a good game, some better than others. And that is not to say that those that speak their testimonials are any less sincere. However, I believe it is by our actions that the expression of our love for Christ is best communicated. I really do think that everyone can do the spoken testimonial but the person that lives the exemplary life and works to do what is right shows me far more than telling me what they are doing.

Is there a place for testimonials in our Christian lives? Yes, by all means. Think of the many stories we hear in our churches, synagogue, and temples each week. Even if they are not being told by the actual participants, they are still a testimony to God's grace. And even when the person standing at the alter is telling their own story of redemption, it is a very moving and powerful part of our faith. But not everyone can tell that story and not everyone needs to tell their story for it to be valid. However, everyone needs to live their testimonial and by doing so, they convey a much stronger message than any written or spoken expression can ever give.

Are you a living testimonial? If you stood before God today, would you be able to tell him your testimonial and would your life match or exceed it? I pray mine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment